About the Course
In this module we will learn about the importance of breastfeeding and breast milk and how we, as health practitioners, can support the mother- baby dyad and improve breast feeding practices in a number of common challenging circumstances.
By taking this module, you would be able to:
- Discuss the importance of breastfeeding and breast milk for both the baby and mother’s health outcomes,
- Help a mother start breastfeeding with practical techniques,
- Be able to evaluate a breastfeeding mother and baby dyad and identify areas of difficulty,
- Identify and manage common breast-feeding complications,
- Advise when and how to initiate alternative feeding techniques.
List of ContentsTheory:
- Why is breast milk and breastfeeding important?
- Breastfeeding basics
- Effective Breastfeeding: Position and latch / Sucking and swallowing / Frequency
- Tips for successful Breastfeeding
- Breast Milk Expression: How to / Giving EBM / Storing EBM
- Breastfeeding assessment
- Common Breastfeeding Complications
- Alternative feeding techniques: Supplementary sucking / Cup/Spoon / NG tube
- Breast Milk Fortifier: When and how we give it
Application / 3 case studies
Summary / Learning points /Job aid
ESTIMATED TIME TO COMPLETE THE COURSE
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The module is intended for nurses, midwives, clinical officers and medical doctors caring for newborns in MSF projects.
HOW TO ENROL
To access this eLearning module, you need first to enrol in the Newborn Care Learning Hub then select the module and enter the enrolment key.
After completing the module and answering the final quiz with at least 80% correct responses learners are entitled a Tembo completion badge and a certificate.
We recommend printing out the job aid and using the neonatal guideline during the module.