About the Course
This course seeks to provide clinicians working at MSF interventions with a step-by-step guidance for writing a clinical case report and case series.
At the end of the course, you will have the option to prepare a case report or case series and send the manuscript to a mentor who will provide you with a critical appraisal. Your mentor will also advise you on potential submission for publication in a scientific journal.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- describe the importance a case report as a form of medical evidence,
- conduct a literature search in PubMed (the largest freely accessible database specialized in health sciences),
- list the components to be included in a clinical case report,
- describe the steps involved in preparing a manuscript for submission to a scientific journal.
List of Contents
The course has 7 modules including the orientation module:
- Introduction - Course orientation
- Module 1 - The Clinical Case Report Initiative at MSF
- Module 2 - To write or not to write a clinical case report/series
- Module 3 - Writing the core of a clinical case report/series
- Module 4 - Analysing data
- Module 5 - The publishing process
- Module 6 - Evaluating your learning
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The target audience consists of all MSF clinicians working at MSF interventions; thus: physicians, clinical officers, psychologists, nurses, midwives and laboratory technicians.
You do not need to take any course prior to this one. It is targeting learners with little or no experience writing case reports or case series.
HOW TO ENROLL
The actual time of self-learning is 6-8 hours. In addition, the learner will spend the time s/he needs to write a case report/series.
To complete the course, you will need to:
- Download the handbook
- Complete all mandatory learning activities within each module
- Pass the learning evaluation with at least 90% of correct answers
Once you have met these three criteria, you are entitled a Tembo badge and a certificate of completion.
This course is intended to be entirely self-directed. You should be able to follow the course at your own pace, including going back and forth between modules, as you need. You are in charge!
You can complete online or offline installing the Tembo desktop app on your computer.
The course has been designed using a range of individual learning tools, such as:
- Reflection Questions
- Drag and drop exercises
- Practice exercises